SHENSTONE PARISH COUNCIL
Serving Little Aston, Shenstone, Stonnall, Shenstone Wood End, Lynn, Parish Council Office 25C Main Street Shenstone WS14 OLZ
Tel: 01543 481 947
e-mail: <email@example.com >
Shenstone Parish Council Strategy /Policy Statement
Shenstone Parish Council aims to carry out its activities with environmental efficiency, actively seeking to protect and enhance the local environment and biodiversity within its area of operation whilst endeavouring to ensure wider adverse environmental impact does not occur as a result.
The Parish Council recognises that a climate emergency has been declared nationally and by Lichfield District Council and Staffordshire County Council within which Shenstone sits. The Parish Council will consider the impact its activities have on both climate change and biodiversity issues and will endeavour to introduce measures that either mitigate negative outcomes or actively support beneficial outcomes, where this is practicable and affordable within the resources and financial capabilities of council.
The Parish Council will specifically consider the following:
- Seek ways to reduce the impact that operating its assets has on the environment (by reducing energy needs for instance)
- Ways in which it can produce renewable energy (directly and / or indirectly)
- Ensure wherever possible safe walking and cycling routes within the parish are available
- The impact that the goods and services it procures, including the environmental commitment of its suppliers, has on the environment,
- Where possible and appropriate, replace environmentally inefficient assets with environmentally friendly alternatives
- The impact that execution of the Parish Council’s activities may have on the environment
In all its activities the Parish Council will aim to;
- Minimise the consumption of all resources used in its operations, particularly in respect of the buildings and equipment it uses and the administration of its activities.
- Seek, wherever possible, to only use contractors and suppliers who have their own environmental policy, which is continually reviewed, up-dated and measured against recognised, best practice examples.
- Where possible, affordable and commensurate with Parish Council powers and duties, support local initiatives aimed at climate change and or, biodiversity protection or enhancement.
Shenstone Parish Council will strive to;
- Use whole energy principle when assessing the benefit of any scheme (whole energy principles ensure the result of any activity is neutral or positive)
- Meet all relevant environmental legislation and regulations
- Regularly update and improve standards in light of increased understanding and knowledge.
- Avoid the creation of unnecessary waste by adhering to a policy of considered, strategic purchasing.
- Recycle and reuse waste materials where possible.
- Dispose of all necessary waste through safe and responsible methods.
- Investigate the use of sustainable energy sources.
- Respect and protect natural resources by practicing conservation and good management.
- Encourage contractors and suppliers to minimise their impact on the environment.
- Encourage its Members and employees to take responsibility for ensuring that the best environmental policy is used and adhered to at all times.
- Seek to support and promote renewable energy projects within the parish
- Support energy reduction strategies within the Parish
- Develop and support zero growth strategies within the Parish.