We have joined forces with our longstanding primary smart security partner, ERA Home Security, to bring you our Think WIDE(N) burglary prevention campaign highlighting the simple, evidence-based WIDE measures which can be taken in any home on a variety of budgets.
At Neighbourhood Watch, we also believe neighbours keeping an eye out for each other is key to reducing burglary, so we’ve extended the WIDE acronym to WIDE(N):
- W: WINDOWS: Keep your windows locked
- I: INTERIOR: Put inside lights on a timer/smart bulb
- D: DOORS: Double or deadlock your doors
- E: EXTERIOR: Put outside lights on a sensor
- (N): NEIGHBOURS: Keep an eye out for your neighbours
- Leaving home? Use this free home security checklist to leave your home safe and secure. John Hayward-Cripps, CEO of Neighbourhood Watch Network, said ‘We know that by securing your home’s windows, interior, doors, exterior and keeping an eye out for neighbours, we can all give ourselves the best chance of preventing burglary. If you have been burgled recently, criminals are familiar with your home and may come back once you’ve had time to purchase new items. Act soon to avoid being retargeted – use the WIDE(N) advice for a combination of simple yet effective prevention measures.’Learn more at ourwatch.org.uk/thinkwiden.
NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH NETWORK, Central Support Team
ourwatch.org.uk / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / LinkedIn / Online shop
Neighbourhood Watch Network is a charity registered in England & Wales, CIO no: 1173349